Child Custody & Relocation A Different Kind of Legal Help

Colorado Child Custody & Relocation Lawyer

Serving Colorado Clients in the Greater Greeley Area

Parent with custody of childChild custody and relocation can be contentious matters between spouses during and after a divorce or separation. Understanding your parental rights is crucial. Courts generally make decisions with the child’s best interests in mind and favor an ongoing and meaningful relationship between the child and both parents where appropriate.

In custody cases, you will be required to file a parenting plan with the court that delineates how responsibilities will be divided between you and the other parent. In the case of relocation, you will be required to show the court why the move is necessary and that it is in the child’s best interests.

At The Legal Quill, we provide legal counsel, documentation for court filings and proceedings, and mediation services for these family law issues.

Contact us at (970) 800-2125 to arrange a consultation with our Colorado child custody and relocation attorney.

How Do You File for Custody in Colorado?

In Colorado, child custody is referred to as allocation of parental responsibilities.

As such, it involves creating a parenting plan that outlines:

  • Who will make major decisions about the child’s upbringing
  • With whom the child will reside
  • A time-share plan that will include a noncustodial parent’s time schedule with the child

Legal and physical custody may be either joint (shared by both parents) or sole (only one parent is awarded responsibility for the child).

Parents may create their own parenting plan and present it to the court for approval. When parents cannot agree, mediation can be used to resolve the dispute. Mediation is a more affordable alternative to litigation and allows you to maintain control of the situation rather than putting it in the hands of a judge.

Child Relocation

Sometimes a divorced or unmarried parent needs to move to another city or state. In these “move-away” cases, the parent who is proposing the move must provide written notice to the other parent outlining his or her reasons for such a move along with a proposed new parenting plan. The parent must then file a motion with the court, which will result in a hearing. Courts will decide the issue based on many factors, always keeping the child’s best interests in mind.

At The Legal Quill, we can help you draft a comprehensive parent plan and present your case effectively to the other parent. We can also help you defend against a relocation request if the other parent of your child is requesting a move.

Contact The Legal Quill at (970) 800-2125 to learn more.

Let's Get Started Togther

We're Here to Help You through Every Step
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.